Position :Research and Project Officer (Toronto)
IRIS – Institute for Research and Development on Inclusion and Society (www.irisinstitute.ca) provides policy research and social development leadership that encourages new ways of thinking, inspiration, and education to advance the citizenship, inclusion, human rights, and well-being of people with intellectual and other disabilities. IRIS is an independent institute, working on behalf of the community living movement in collaboration with the broader disability and social justice communities which intersect with other experiences of marginalization.
IRIS is seeking a qualified, self-motivated and experienced researcher to start September 2019 in the position of Research and Project Officer, based in Toronto. With a focus on policy research related to people with intellectual and other disabilities, the successful candidate will have experience in research proposal development, research design, literature review, environmental scans, policy analysis, qualitative research, conducting key informant interviews, focus group facilitation, project management and public presentations. The Research and Project Officer plays a vital role in proposal development, primary research, gathering and examining secondary sources, report preparation, presentation of findings and coordinating activities across projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate with senior staff to determine research objectives, plans and time frames
- Work in accordance with project briefs and deliver frequent project updates
- Develop and direct research assignments, including research proposals
- Create action plans, set project goals, and manage projects to completion
- Design surveys and questionnaires specific to research requirements
- Perform policy and law review, interviews and focus group research to gather data
- Organize and maintain research databases
- Compile, analyze and organize findings in graphs, charts, diagrams, as well as written format
- Document, report, and present research findings to senior management and stakeholders
- Assist in knowledge mobilization of research, including preparing various information resources, FAQs, etc. and preparing content for social media
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences required; Master’s preferred
- Strong interpersonal, teamwork, relationship-building and inter-disciplinary skills
- Demonstrated skills and experience in various research methodologies
- Demonstrated proficiency with office and data management applications (e.g., MS Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint; Endnote; NVivo), and knowledge of reference material search and retrieval procedures. Knowledge of statistical software packages is considered an asset
- Self-directed and able to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment, while performing objective and ethical research at all times
- Attention to detail, strong follow-through, and the ability to remain organized and responsive to multiple priorities and deadlines
- Strong writing and editing skills; demonstrated ability to develop accurate reports
- Demonstrated skills in communicating effectively both orally and written in English; bilingualism an asset
- Knowledge and experience in disability and/or social justice policy an asset
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume no later than Friday August 16th, 2019, 5:00 pm EST
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. IRIS will provide accommodation throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities.
IRIS supports diversity, equity and a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- English (Preferred)