Do you want to be part of our innovative and entrepreneurial team?
Do you thrive in an entrepreneurial environment and enjoy working in a team atmosphere? Are you an “outside the box” thinker who strives to implement continuous improvements? Do you take a strategic approach to your work? Do you enjoy working in a fast-paced culture where your opinions are valued and respected? Do you enjoy building partnerships to solve mutually beneficial challenges?
Mitacs is a national not-for-profit that helps industry and non-profit partners solve strategic challenges by leveraging Canada’s world-class post-secondary talent and a global network of industry, academic, and government partnerships. Through these collaborations, Mitacs helps business and community partners succeed, improves students’ on-the-job skills development, and strengthens Canada’s world-class innovation ecosystem. At Mitacs, we strive to develop the next generation of innovators with vital research and business skills. In partnership with domestic and international companies, governments and academia, we support a new economy using Canada’s most valuable resource – its people.
To get a better understanding of Mitacs and read more about our values please visit our website
RESEARCH REVIEW OFFICER
Reporting to the Manager, Research Review, the Research Review Officer will contribute to maintaining Mitacs research quality standards by managing peer review processes for Mitacs programs. This position will require a thorough understanding of Mitacs’ programs and mission, excellent judgment, the ability to perform under pressure, and strong communication skills.
- Handle research proposals for programs such as Mitacs Accelerate and Mitacs Elevate
- Analyze proposals to identify external subject matter experts qualified to review.
- Invite external experts to review proposals and manage follow-up communications.
- Document/summarize feedback from external reviewers.
- Prepare funding recommendations on proposals to the Mitacs Research Council.
- Prepare written feedback on research proposals to program applicants
- Manage the work of Research Review Coordinators
- Assign research proposals to Coordinators to handle
- Ensure a balanced distribution of workload among Coordinators
- Recruit, train, and mentor Coordinators as required.
- Review funding recommendations from Coordinators.
- Monitor and report on peer review process performance
- Ensure timely completion of peer review.
- Provide regular reports on peer review statistics.
- Propose and implement process improvements when appropriate.
- Form and manage ad hoc review committees/panels as required.
- Provide internal reviews for proposals for Globalink and other programs as needed.
- Collaborate with other Mitacs departments such as Programs, Grant Management, Finance, IT, and Business Development as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned from time to time.
- Master’s degree required, but PhD preferred
- Ability to grasp topics in a wide range of academic disciplines
- Self-starter who is comfortable working in a team setting
- Excellent time management skills
- Performs well under pressure and/or deadlines
- Strong written communication skills
- Excellent judgment
- Good problem-solving skills
- Receptive to new ideas
- French language proficiency is an asset
Mitacs fosters a culture where creativity, innovation, diversity, and inclusion are valued, encouraged and fostered. We offer a comprehensive benefits package and a team-based work environment, and we are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.